Friday, September 10, 2010

Esk Studio Newsletter re; Concert

Dear Esk Studio Parents and Caregivers,

RE: 2010 Esk Studio Viewing Performance, Concert Rehearsals and Concert

I refer to my previous notices and correspondence containing details of the following upcoming events for the Esk Starlite Dancers Studio:
Viewing Performance - at Gatton Shire Hall,1pm to 2.30pm on Sunday 17thOctober 2010
Concert Dress Rehearsal - at Gatton Shire Hall, 8.30am to 10.30am on Sunday 21 November 2010
Last 2010 Dance classes - at Gatton Shire Hall, usual class times, Monday 29 November 2010
Concert - at Gatton Shire Hall, 11.00am to 1.00pm on Sunday 5 December 2010
As you are all no doubt aware, traditionally all of the above mentioned events were held in the Lyceum Hall at Esk. Given the tragic loss of the Lyceum Hall earlier this year, I was forced to suddenly and quickly make alternative arrangements and I booked the Gatton Shire Hall accordingly. In doing so, I took into consideration many factors. These included the physical features of an alternative venue (such as lighting, sound systems, stage size and side stage change areas and access), the numbers of students in each class, and the opportunity for the dancers to perform at a larger venue and consequently create an added specialty to the events. It is also my experience throughout over 20 years of teaching dance, a lifetime of performing dance and as a parent of five children that providing the dance students with an opportunity to perform in larger venues allows them to broaden their experience and enhances their confidence to adjust and perform confidently in different environments. The fact that the Gatton Shire Hall is air conditioned is also a tremendous advantage for the dancers’ comfort (especially the younger students) throughout all of these events, not to mention the comfort of family and friends in the audience. Please note though, that once a replacement Lyceum Hall is built in Esk it is fully intended that all future concerts and related events shall be held there.

Sadly, it has come to my attention that some parents/caregivers are dissatisfied with the venue, days and times for the upcoming events as detailed above. Therefore, out of courtesy to all involved, I have considered the objections raised and wish to explain my position and announce a new events schedule, outlined below, which addresses such objections with a view to achieve an optimal outcome for all involved, especially your child/children.

The objections raised seem to fall into five categories so I shall address each one separately:

1. The inconvenience, time, financial cost and deprivation caused to the community by the abovementioned events being held in Gatton.

I thoroughly appreciate the inconvenience of travelling from the Esk and Toogoolawah areas to Gatton and the financial burden this may cause. This is precisely why I decided to commence an Esk Starlite Dancers Studio over three years ago and why I have travelled from Placid Hills/Gatton to Esk myself for every class and local event the Esk Studio has been invited to perform at, all at no extra cost to you. I charge the same prices for my classes in Esk as I do for my classes in Gatton and the concerts are non profit events. I love dancing and teaching your child/children to dance and consider that on the contrary to causing your community any deprivation, I have brought a service to your area which was not easily accessible to your community.



The Viewing Performance, Concert Dress Rehearsal, last 2010 dance classes and end of year Concert are four very important events out of approximately 34 classes at Esk throughout the year. Therefore, I would respectfully request that you view the four events at the Gatton Shire Hall relatively in comparison to almost four terms of attending dance classes in Esk.

2. The impact of Sunday morning rehearsal and concert times for those who attend Church.

As a regular Church goer myself, I fully understand that the Sunday morning times are neither ideal nor conducive to Church attendance however I was prepared to forgo my regular Church attendance for the benefit of the Esk Studio dance students. I meant absolutely no disrespect in doing so. The availability of days and times is somewhat limited at a busy time of the year however I have managed to make some adjustments which are outlined in the new schedule of events below which I hope are suitable to you all.

3. That the unfamiliarity of the Gatton Shire Hall may cause distress to the dancers.

The end of year concert is a culmination of the year’s preparation and work that your child/children and you as parents/caregivers have put in to the commitment of dancing. It is an opportunity for all students to shine at a special event. It is important for your child’s/childrens’ development as a dancer/performer that they are given the opportunity to perform outside of their comfort zone but with proper preparation beforehand. It is my experience that this results in a valuable flow on beneficial effect on many aspects of their life; not just when dancing on stage.

The primary reason for the Viewing Performance, dress rehearsal and the last class before the Concert being held at the Gatton Shire Hall is to prepare the students for the Concert and familiarise them with the surroundings. It was extremely rewarding to see Esk Studio students at the Viewing Performance in August perform beautifully on an unfamiliar stage (for one young student even as a solo) and they all did so with confidence, poise and a smile of their face. We did not have one distressed student at all.

In any event, wherever the Concert is held, it is not in the usual place of dance classes and therefore always involves familiarising students with the venue. Although some students may have previously performed at a given Concert venue, for many it will be their first time and every effort will be made to properly prepare all students and to familiarise them with the Concert venue.

4. That there may not be sufficient time to travel to the class times on Monday 29 November.

I am given to understand that some students who would need to be at the Gatton Hall on Monday 29 November at 3.30pm will not have sufficient time to travel to Gatton from school after school finishing time. Accordingly, I have moved all class times for Monday 29 November to 30 minutes later, as detailed in the new schedule of events below.

5. Perceived lack of consultation and courtesy of your community.

In consideration of all of the above, I hope that you all appreciate that I have not acted without consultation and courtesy of your community. I did in fact take on board comments of those who approached me after the Lyceum Hall was destroyed by fire. I also respect the value in keeping a service and special events within the community and commend your enthusiasm in this regard. However, as Director of Starlite Dancers, it is also my job to teach and groom your child/children in the Love and Performance of Dance. It is not my practice, nor the practice of any dance studio that I am aware of, to survey the opinions of all students and parents/caregivers to negotiate event details. I hope you will all accept my apologies for any distress the selection of the Gatton venue may have caused you .

I truly look forward to continuing to share the “Love of Dance “with you and your child/children and delivering an end of year Concert that you can all be proud of
.
NEW SCHEDULE OF EVENTS For Esk Studio;

Viewing Performance - at Gatton Shire Hall,1pm to 2.30pm on Sunday 17thOctober 2010
Normal Dance attire, Program will be advised.
Concert Dress Rehearsal- at Gatton Shire Hall, @8.30am to 10.30am on Sunday 21 November

Last 2010 Esk Dance class- at Gatton Shire Hall, Monday 29 November 2010:
Ladies Classes : @3pm to 4pm Tap & Jazz
*4.00 to 4.30 Creative Dance
4.30 to 5.00 All students “Opening” “Fire Flies”
5.30 to 6pm Ballet
6pm to 6.30pm Junior Jazz
6.30 to 6.45pm Junior Tap
6.45 to 7.15pm Inter/Senior Jazz
7.15 to 8.15pm Inter & Senior Tap

Concert Gatton Shire Hall new time of 1pm on Sunday 5 December
2010

No comments:

Post a Comment